A month or so ago I decided to do a Bible study on how to be a godly wife. I am getting married in less than a month now and I needed to know how to be the best wife I can be. I started with finding all the verses on being a wife. Next I wrote a brief summary of what the passage is trying to teach. Lastly I did a word search of “submission” and did a deeper study regarding it.
- A godly wife is going to bring honor to her husband.
- A godly wife is not one that will bring shame by flirting with other guys or committing adultery.
A godly wife is not contentious. This means she doesn’t try to be controversial. She doesn’t purposely provoke arguments and conflict. She is more of a peacemaker than a provoker of strife.
A godly wife is trustworthy/honest (v. 11), kind (v. 12, 26b), hardworking (v. 13-14), frugal (v. 16), giving and caring (v. 20), honors her husband (v. 23), wise (v. 26a), not idle (v. 27), and fears the Lord (v. 30).
A godly wife will be precious (v.10), strong and honored (v. 25), blessed (v.28), praised (v. 30-31)
- Wives are to submit to their husbands.
- The wife is under the husband which means he leads.
- Marriage is to be similar to the relationship between Christ and the church. Church = wife Christ = husband
- A godly wife loves her husband and children
- A godly wife is careful with her speech, loyal to her husband, takes care of the home, good, and submissive to her husband. All these things bring glory to God when the wife does them. The wife is living life the way she was created to.
1 Peter 3:1-6
- Wives are to be submissive to their husbands (v. 1-2). This will be a witness to the ungodly husband and point him to Christ.
- Wives are also to display inward beauty as more important than outward beauty (v. 3-4). Inward beauty includes a quiet and gentle spirit.
Common Thread: Submission
One common thing throughout these passages is submission of the wife to the husband. So I asked the question “what does that mean?” Here is what I discovered.
- Submission means showing your husband respect (1 Peter 3:6). Ex. Sarah did this as part of having a gentle and quiet spirit.
- Submission is letting your husband lead (Ephesians 5:24). Just as Christ leads the church, the husband is to lead the wife.
- Submission is having good conduct (1 Peter 3:1)
- Submitting to a husband is similar to submitting to Christ. Ephesians 5 says marriage is a representation of Christ and the church.
- Submission does not mean that the husband wife are not equal. They are still equal in a spiritual sense even though the woman is the weaker vessel (Galatians 3:28).
- All verses that speak of submission: Ephesians 5:22-24, 1 Peter 3:1-6, Genesis 3:16, 1 Corinthians 11:3
I put a thing on Facebook asking what other older women think submission is. The best answer I got was by a lovely woman named Carolyn Jackson. She said:
Being a submissive wife is to realize that I’m not in charge… Being submissive is waiting, talking it over, not being upset at him when things don’t go the way I want them to. Talking things through before making decisions. Working together. And, I think sometimes the hardest, letting him take the lead even if you don’t agree with the decision.
This was such a helpful Bible study to do. I have never paid much attention to these verses but now I need them. I am getting married and need this information to be the best wife I can be for my husband. I plan to review this study every so often to remind myself of how I am supposed to be living. I hope that it is helpful to you as well if you are married or going to be. Ladies, let us be women who fear the Lord and bring honor to our husbands every day.